http://jennmolo.com/joomla/img I am attending Sibos, the international Swift conference in Osaka. After the first day, several themes are becoming apparent. This is a post about “what everybody is talking about”, or at least what I heard… Of course, most people talk sales here, and the amount of business deals and/or discussion about future deals seems impressing. However my interest is at the “trends” level, so here is what I see as a developing consensus:
- There is an understanding that it is imperative for banks to embrace the need to change as both a way to grow and a way to survive
- Agreement across board that banks need to move to digital banking
- Agility as a concept that banks need to embrace to be able to change before it’s too late
- Everybody knows that “the future is mobile” and many are already doing something about it
- Most banks have heard of “big data” but very few companies have a view of how it is different from what they do today or what is the business benefit for banks. I have seen several times in presentations that facebook has 1 billion users and that we tweet 600 times per second. And this means what?
- Most bankers think that banks should not use social computing for more than advertising and branding. Not a safe place to be for transactions…